Skip to main content

Japan Trip (Hokkaido): Noboribetsu

Jigokudani

Jigokudani or Hell Valley is a volcano region which displays hot steam vents, sulfurous steam, and other volcanic activities. From Jigokudani, there are many walking trails which you can take by following the clearly labelled signs along the trails. The trails bring you to a river where you can have a natural foot bath or another trail which you can hike to the blue pond.

If you are driving to Jigokudani, just enter the phone number: 0143843311 and the GPS will bring you there. Do note that the car parks outside require a parking fee of 400 yen, but the admission to Jigokudani is totally free.

Other modes of transport to Jigokudani include:
15 min ride by Donan Bus from JR Noboribetsu Station;
1 hour bus "Kosoku Airport" from New Chitose Airport;
1 hour 40 mins by Donan Bus from Sapporo Station Bus Terminal

Once we were near Jigokudani, we could smell Sulphur in the air.



Following this sign on a trail brought us to the hot spring vent which has fences around it.


The smell of sulphur got really strong when we were near the vent. The hot spring vent boils and bubbles every few minutes. There were many tourists gathering round the vent waiting for it to bubble before the crowd dispersed. We waited for a few minutes and finally saw the hot spring bubbles. I was covering my nose while waiting though, as I couldn't stand the smell.

Waiting for the hot spring to boil
Some facts about the hot spring. The temperature is around 80 degrees celsius but there will be intermittent geysers.
It's bubbling furiously! It's hard to take a picture of it with the smoke.
Following the trails, we climbed up the steep slopes and reached the blue pond after a good 20 mins



There are many walking trails around Jigokudani, though some trails may be close in winter. Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes!

Oh! Not forgetting the stamp chops at Jigokudani Tourist Centre.


Fresh Seafood - Onsenichiba

This gotta be one of our highlight of the things we ate in Japan! I highly recommend this place and you must try it if you are in Noboribetsu! It is just 5 min walk from the entrance of Jigokudani to the shops street and you will be able to see this!


There are fresh seafood in the shop and they grilled it in front of you!



We ordered lots of seafood for our dinner and that was so satisfying!

Super fresh and big piece salmon sashimi!
Juicy and big oyster!
My favourite Uni!! So fresh and yummy!
A whole big piece of squid! It's so fresh and the meat was tender.
OMG! The big, juicy and sweet scallop!
Sooo sooo delicious!
This was a surprise to us! Didn't know mackerel can be grilled to such perfection! The chef grilled it with his heart and effort. He first used aluminium foil to cover it. While grilling, he kept checking on how cooked was the fish by using a needle to poke the fish and then checked the temperature of the needle. We were touched by his meticulous when preparing this dish for us. His effort did pay off! The meat was so soft and juicy. Don't forget to eat it with the minced radish. They were a perfect match! After that, I couldn't find such nice grilled fish anywhere! I miss it!
The best has yet to come. Can you guess how much we spent for all the above that we ordered? Only 6800 yen!! I highly highly recommend Onsenichiba!

There are 3 theme parks which you can explore around Nobosibetsu if you have the time:
Marine Park Nixe
Address: 1 Chome-22 Noboribetsuhigashicho, Noboribetsu, Hokkaido Prefecture 059-0464, Japan
Tel phone: +81 0143833800
Admission fee: 2400 yen for adult

Date Jidaimura
Address: 53-1 Nakanoboribetsucho, Noboribetsu, Hokkaido Prefecture, 059-0463, Japan
Tel phone: +81 0143833311
Admission fee: 2900 yen for adult

Bear Park
Address: 224 Noboribetsu-Onsen-cho, Noboribetsu Onsen, Shikotsu-Toya National Park, Hokkaido, 059-0551, Japan
Tel phone: +81 0143842225
Admission fee: 2520 yen for adult.

If you plan to go to 2 of the above theme parks, then you can get the discount ticket which is available at the ticketing office of any of the theme parks. The discount ticket cost 3300 yen for an adult to visit 2 of the above theme parks.

We spent our night at Lake Toya instead of Noboribetsu. A 45 mins drive brought us to Lake Toya!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has