Skip to main content

Japan Trip (Hokkaido): Lake Toya

A 45 mins drive from Noboribetsu brought us to Lake Toya where we spent 2 nights. We stayed in Daiwa Ryokan Annex along Lake Toya. It's again similar experience to the one we stayed in Sounkyo, which was also a hot spring Japanese style Ryokan. You can read about my hot spring and Ryokan stay experience here!

The beds in Daiwa Ryokan Annex were more comfortable though and I didn't suffer from back ache the next day!


But, we didn't have private toilet and bathroom here, and I was shocked that their shared bathroom was really 'shared'! The only place where I could take a shower was at the open bath area in the female Onsen room! I didn't have a choice, I have to bath with the others!

Fireworks on Lake Toya

There are fireworks display on Lake Toya everyday from 845pm to 905pm from April to October! There are cruises which bring you out to Lake Toya and enjoy the fireworks display. But hee, we have nice views from the balcony of our Ryokan and saved the cruise money!



Usuzan Ropeway

Usuzan is an active volcano which has erupted 4 times since 1900 and the most recent one was in year 2000.The Usuzan Ropeway brought us close to the summit of Usuzan where we saw views of Lake Toya, Usuzan largest crater and Showa Shinzan which was just beside Usuzan. Showa Shinzan was a young mountain which was created by the eruption of Usuzan in 1944.

To get there, we entered the phone number 0142753113 into our GPS and drove from our Ryokan. The journey took around 10 minutes.
Opening hours: Generally 0900 to 1600 (but might be longer in the summer and closed during some weeks in the winter)
Return cost of taking the ropeway: 1500 yen per adult.

The mountain in the picture is Showa Shinzan, you can see it while taking the ropeway up.
The scenery while taking the ropeway up.
At the Usuzan station, there's a small theatre showing a video on the eruptions and volcanic activity history of Usuzan, and how Japanese take precaution of  upcoming volcanic activity.

To see the largest crater of Usuzan and to the hiking trail around Usuzan, we have to climb up this flight of stairs and slopes.
We reached the observation deck after that flight of stairs.
A crater of Usuzan
The Usuzan hiking trail which brings you nearer to the crater
The other side of the station with views of Lake Toya
Before we took the ropeway down, we got the stamp chops on Usuzan!


There were souvenirs shops and a volcano eruption experience room at the ground level of the Usuzan Ropeway station. The volcano eruption experience room will vibrate as
it showed the video of volcanic eruption to let visitors have a feel of what it's like when an eruption happens.


A photo of us and Showa Shinzan.


Before we left Usuzan, we bought a piece of the famous Hokkaido melon for 300 yen. It's very sweet, fragrant and soft. But that's about it, we still think it's a tad expensive.


Free hand and feet Onsen

There're many free hand baths and foot baths in Lake Toya. We went to a hand bath located in front of a hotel.

It felt kinda weird sitting by the roadside and put our hands in the hotel bath and stone there for 5 minutes lol..
The free public foot bath located along the lake.
Konpira Crater Hazard Area

The Japan government has retained a portion of the ruins from the year 2000 Usuzan eruption in the hope that it will educate the people how to lessen the impact of future disasters. It's located just next to the Volcano Museum, near the Visitor Center. Admission is free but there's a donation box at the entrance where you can contribute to the preservation of these ruins. We were told that it's open only from end April to beginning of November.

Following the route, we saw the remnants of the building, and it felt kinda sad, lonely and abandoned while walking through it.


From far the building looks unharmed, but as you walk nearer...
You can see the hardened mud and toppled chairs and tables in it


This part of the bridge was flushed off the main bridge by the mud slide and washed to this position! 
 If you're interested, there's a hiking trail which will lead you nearer to the Konpira crater which erupted in year 2000.

Next to the ruins ground is the Volcano Museum, which will give you more background and history of the volcanic activities and eruptions, and also some facts and history of Lake Toya. Oh, there're stamp chops here again!



At the end of this post, I present... some photos of Lake Toya. Next is our last destination in Hokkaido, Otaru.. Sob Sob..



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has