Skip to main content

Japan (Cherry Blossom): Takayama, Shirakawa, Gokayama

Woo Hoo! I have seen great reviews and nice pictures of Takayama and is totally looking forward to it! The train ride on Limited Express Wide View Hida from Nagoya to Takayama is a scenic route. A few stops before Takayama, the scenery gets more and more pretty and I got really hyped up!

On board Limited Express Wide View Hida
The weekend when we were at Takayama is their Spring Festival! We had a hard time booking the hotels and so we just booked whatever is available. We stayed in Country Hotel Takayama and it is very convenient as it is just across the road from the Takayama train station. It is also clean and price is reasonable as well.

It was bustling when we arrived at Takayama as the Spring Festival was ongoing. Other than the Spring Festival, the other thing that excites us is the cherry blossom!! As Takayama was colder than places like Tokyo and Kyoto, the cherry blossom is in full bloom here!!! We were super excited and it was extremely beautiful!

Takayama main streets are lined with wooden merchant houses dating back to the Edo period.


Such floats parade is one of the highlight in Takayama Spring Festival.
Cherry Blossom in full bloom in Takayama!



View of Takayama on a hill
Other than the nice scenery, there were also some food recommended in Takayama.

Takayama's local specialty is Hida beef! It is a must for us to try it of course! We went to Maruaki Hida Takayama for Hida beef.





As seen from the beef, Hida has more marbling as compared to Kobe. Hida also melts in your mouth more than Kobe due to the marbling and it is more fatty and juicy as well. But if you ask me, I prefer Kobe, because I felt it's too oily after eating Hida. I still prefer the meat to be less fat and less oily but still feels tender, soft and fragrant! My friend prefer Hida more, so I guess it's personal preference. Hida is also not as pricey as Kobe. Both are nice and both are worth trying when you are in Japan!

We also tried a few snacks in Takayama!

These Hida beef sticks were good and not too ex!
Amazake (Fermented rice drink) is now one of my favourite drink haha
We bought the Amazake and the Hida beef sticks from this stall

Some rice cake, can't remember the exact name. But not really to our liking.

Hida beef bun. Hmmm.. We still prefer to eat the beef directly instead of with a bun.
So we spent our day exploring this little town Takayama, admiring the amazing cherry blossom. When the Spring Festival ended for the day, Takayama returns to its tranquil state. It felt so serene strolling through this authentic Japanese traditional town. We really liked Takayama and hoped we could spend more days here to enjoy the peaceful and serene environment amidst the mountains.

The next day we will be taking a one day tour to Takayama's neighbours, Shirakawa and Gokayama, and both are one of the UNESCO Heritage sites. We booked the one day tour via Japanican website.

After booking the day tour, instructions will be sent to your email to arrange the time and venue for the pick up. So that morning we waited at Takayama Nohi Bus Center for the tour bus and here we go!


The highlight of Shirakawa and Gokayama are the steep roof traditional houses and of course the beautiful mountainous terrain surrounding them. I would think they are even more gorgeous in winter when the roof are covered with thick snow. However, I believe the ground will be covered with thick snow too and will be difficult to get around.

First stop of the tour is Gokayama Ainokura village. We were given 60 minutes to explore the village. The village is quite small so 60 minutes is quite sufficient. We followed a route up a small mount so that we will be able to have a view of the whole village.

The surrounding mountain view is beautiful, there're some cherry blossoms too!
A close look at the steep roof


It's a very peaceful and quiet town, as it's not very well known to tourists yet. Walking in this town with some farms around, the surrounding mountains and the fresh air made me feel so refresh and serene. I believe some peaceful and calm moments is what everyone really needed at times.

As it's still quite cold, there were still big patches of harden snow lying around, we played around with the snow and before we know it, 1 hour has passed.


Next up, Shirakawa! Shirakawa is the more well known UNESCO Heritage sites among the 2 so we would expect it to be more crowded there and it is also a bigger village than Gokayama Ainokura.

Before we explore Shirakawa, we had our lunch with is included in the tour.


The lunch place is a house on top of a hill so we could have a top down view of Shirakawa. A lot of people ate very quickly and rushed out to take photos haha.


The landscapes are so pretty yeah!
We were given 2 hours at Shirakawa. It's time to walk around Shirakawa and take in the serenity amidst the traditional houses!





There were a number of small museums like this in Shirakawa for visitors at a nominal fee. We didn't explore these small museums, but you could if you are interested and if you have sufficient time here.


Our tour include a ticket to Gasshozukuri Minkaen Outdoor Museum. It's across a river from the main Shirakawa village. Cherry blossoms were blooming along the carpark beside the river!


We crossed the bridge over the river and slowly walked to the museum. The museum has many of those steep roof traditional houses that were no longer in use so they're open to visitors to go in and see how it's like inside the house.

There were a lot less people here in the outdoor museum and we almost have the whole place to ourselves! But I guessed it's also because of this that there were bugs crawling on the houses and bugs flying over the ponds.




Boiling water with charcoal in the house

Had some dessert and chill out in the Gasshozukuri style house

Finally, I can have the whole cherry blossom tree to myself! No one in the background! Hahaha


With that, we gonna say byebye to Shirakawa and head back to Takayama, where we gonna take the Limited Express Wide View Hida to Toyama! We gonna stay one night in Toyama for our next day and is also our last highlight of the trip Tateyama Alping Route and we're going to see the famous snow corridor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has