Skip to main content

New Zealand SI (part 5): Franz Josef Glacier, Hokitika Gorge and Castle Hill

In my last post, we went for a Milford Sound one day tour, drove to Queenstown and stop over for a night before proceeding to our next destination, Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

According to Googlemaps, it will take 4.5 hours to drive from Queenstown to our accommodation at Franz Josef Glacier town, and the time taken to drive from Fox to Franz Josef Glacier was half an hour. So our original plan was to explore Fox Glacier first as it was along the way. Then drive to Franz Josef Glacier to check in to our accommodation. But we actually took a lot more time because the drive from Queenstown to Franz Josef was simply amazing and we had to stop at many scenic points. In the end, we didn't have enough time and had to give Fox Glacier a miss. So a tip will be to cater more time for the drive. Although it only took half an hour to drive from Fox Glacier to Franz Josef Glacier, the route was very steep with lots of bends.

Below are some of the photos we took along the drive.



Lake Hawea Lookout Point




Lake Wanaka



Blue Pool (30 mins walk return from car park) 


Thunder Creek Fall (5 mins walk to the waterfall from the car park)


Roaring Billy (25 mins return walk from the car park)



Haast Pass


West Coast


Bruce Bay



Finally we reached Franz Josef Glacier and checked in to our accommodation, Franz Josef Montrose.


Complimentary soup from Franz Josef Montrose served at 8pm in the kitchen
Dinner was at Alice May, according to Tripadvisor, it was no. 1 in Franz Josef and they were really good!


Pork with apple sauce

Beef Cheek in red wine sauce
Franz Josef Glacier 
The track to Franz Josef Glacier to and fro took 1.5 hours. It was raining when we were there so we again had to brave the rain through the track. But this time round, the condition was better than Hooker Valley Track as there wasn't any strong winds, just some rain. So it was much more manageable. We were told that as Franz Josef Glacier's situated within the rainforest, this area rained most of the time. 

While walking half way, we saw some rocks rolling down the slopes! As the rocks rolled down, there's roaring sound. I initially thought some helicopter flew past, that's until I saw the rocks rolling down.



An ice cave we saw along the way

That's Franz Josef Glacier up there. It has retreated quite a lot. Sad :(



Panoramic shot of the surrounding half way through the track

Hokitika Gorge
After Franz Josef Glacier, we drove for about 2.5 hours to Hokitika Gorge. I love turquoise waters and Hokitika Gorge never failed me.








We had our dinner at Fat Pipi Pizza in Hokitika Town. The pizza was superb! We ordered a large half half pizza, Mariner (Fish, shrimp, mussel, smoked salmon, onion) and Portifino (shrimp, mushroom, bacon, garlic).




The Country Cottage
We have booked The Country Cottage for the night's stay, it's about 15 mins drive away from Hokitika Town. We loved this cottage a lot and the host was super friendly and nice! They live just next door. It was clean and cosy with a fire place! It was situated in the outskirts, very peaceful, quiet and serene. We could see stars at night as there's little light pollution here. We really love love love this cottage and highly recommend this! My favourite accommodation throughout my whole NZ trip.
The Country Cottage can be booked through this website!




We also encountered the first earthquake of our life here, in The Country Cottage that night. On 14 Nov 2016 at 1202am. The cottage shook a little, could see the furniture shaking and our things on the table and water moving. I was shocked and hubby told me that it was earthquake. We were lucky that it stopped after about half a minute. We felt a few smaller after shocks after that. We immediately checked the news and realised that a magnitude 7.5 earthquake just hit Kaikoura area and the surrounding, including Wellington were badly hit.

After that we kept our eyes on the news for earthquake very closely and were shocked that there were a few hundreds of after shocks within a day. We still felt very very small tremors as and when. We will be driving back to Christchurch the next day and were relieved that Christchurch was not affected by the earthquake.

On the last day, we drove back to Christchurch, passing by Arthur's Pass. It was so foggy at Arthur's Pass that visibility was low. We drove through Arthur's Pass and stopped by Castle Hill for a short walk before arriving at Christchurch.

Castle Hill




We spent the last night in Christchurch to catch our next morning's flight. Sob sob. A vacation that ended too soon.


Comments

  1. I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty. You're incredible! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother recommended I may like this web site. He was once entirely right. This submit actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has