Skip to main content

New Zealand SI (Part 3): Queenstown, Te Anau

The drive from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown is a 3 hours drive according to Googlemaps, but we took 5 hours to reach Queenstown because the drive was too scenic and there were many photo opportunities along the way.

After driving for some time, we passed by a sign "Lake Ohau", and we turned into the road to get to Lake Ohau. After turning in, another sign told us Lake Ohau is 40km away. We hesitated a while as the distance was quite long but we still proceeded nonetheless. Someone told us that Lake Pukaki, Lake Tekapo and Lake Ohau are the 3 lakes that were fed by the glacier waters in Aoraki Mount Cook National Park. To and fro Lake Ohau added 1 hour to our time required to reach Queenstown. Lucky we had long day time when we were there.

Difference between Lake Pukaki, Lake Tekapo and Lake Ohau? Waters of Lake Ohau do not have the beautiful turquoise color like its brothers. Lake Ohau is blue. But over here at Lake Ohau, you find serenity, peaceful and calmness. Lake Ohau is off the beaten path and there's no one here except us. I love this feel.



Continuing our journey, we came to a town Omarama and we saw the sign Omarama Glider Flight. We did not do this activity. But if you are interested,  you can go to this website for discount ticket for Omarama Glider Flight.


After passing Omarama, we entered into a mountainous terrain, Lindis Pass. The views along Lindis Pass were great! We caught a scenic lookout point and stopped.


The shape of the mountains cast shadows! Great view!



Shadow of us! 

We finally reached Queenstown in the evening. Queenstown is a small town and it is possible to walk around the main area by foot. There're many shops with activities such as bungee jump, helicopter rides, para gliding etc on sale. It's like the hub of adrenaline activities. If  you have the time, you can use Queenstown as the base to do the activities you interested.

We checked in to Sir Cedric Tahuna Pod Hostel. We booked a double pod for the night's stay. Curtain could be drawn to ensure your privacy in the pod. The bed was clean and comfortable. Shared toilet and bathroom were clean too. Simple breakfast was served.


Our dinner for the night was the 'forever queuing' Ferg Burger. All the time while I was in Queenstown, I never see the queue stop at all. We ordered Ferg Burger with Cheddar cheese and Codfather Burger. The price was quite reasonable, Ferg Burger with Cheddar Cheese cost 12.50NZD while Codfather Burger cost 14.90NZD We waited for about 30 mins for our burgers. Check out Fergburger website for the menu!




The burgers were big and tasted really nice! One of the nicest I would say. Generous amount of ingredients, juicy beef patty and cod fish with yummy sauce.


The next day, we continued exploring Queenstown before proceeding to Te Anau. We patronised Ferg again, Fergbaker, which is located just beside Fergburger. We ordered Pork with Apple pie and Venison with Portobello Mushroom pie. Personally, I preferred pork with apple pie more as the taste of venison in red wine sauce with portobello mushroom was a bit too strong to go with pie.



Queenstown was situated along the lakeside of Lake Wakatipu. It was nice chilling by the lakeside. There're also water activities for purchase at the booth by the lake.


Hubby tried skipping stones lol..


While walking in the main area of Queenstown, we saw cutie sheep!



The wool of the sheep was so soft and so nice to touch! I wanna cuddle..

It's time for us to drive to Te Anau! We took around 2.5 hours to drive from Queenstown to Te Anau. Just before reaching the town of Te Anau, we stopped by at Alpine Centre Cafe and Bar to take photos of these cuties!




We booked the Te Anau Glow worm cave tour with Real Journey. We drove to Real Journey office in Te Anau and board the cruise to the Glow worm cave. The cruise took about half an hour. Finally, we arrived!



No phototaking is allowed in the Glow worm cave. We waited for a while in the hut before walking to the cave as the guides could only bring a certain number of people in each time. While waiting in the hut, the guide gave a presentation of the cave and the life cycle of glow worm. After about 20 mins, we were lead by our guide into the cave. At the entrance of the cave, we had to bend down quite low to pass through as the cave was quite low. We then walked through the cave with dim lights, so had to be careful while walking in the cave as the floor was quite slippery too. The guide did explain some rock formations, and waterfall to us, but it was too noisy inside the cave due to the roaring waterfall, we could not really hear what the guide said.

After walking through the cave, we reached a small jetty to take the small boat to see the glow worm. It was totally pitch dark after boarding the small boat. We must remain silent in through the journey as not to disturb the glow worm. However, I was a bit disappointed with the amount of glow worm in the cave, it did not give me the 'wow' sensation. And the time we spent on the boat to see the glow worm was only about 10 minutes.

After that, we walked backed through the cave and back to the hut and took the cruise back to Real Journey office in Te Anau.

Te Anau has a very small town with several eateries. We chose Ristorante Pizzeria Paradiso Da Toni for our dinner. We ordered seafood marinara and prawns with gnocchi. Both tasted really good!



After dinner, we went to the lake side of Lake Te Anau to take some photo of the sunset.



We checked in to our accommodation in Te Anau, Shakespear House Bed and Breakfast. I loved the stay here! The room was cosy, big and clean, the host was very friendly, it has on site free parking space and the breakfast was cooked by the host and it tasted exceptionally yummy! Other than the cooked breakfast, there's free flow bread, jam, cereal, milk, tea, coffee etc. This was the best breakfast I had throughout my stay in New Zealand!

Our room

The host cooking our delicious breakfast!




We went for a one day Milford Sound tour with Jucy the next day! Stay tune for part 4 of our NZ trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has