Skip to main content

Taiwan: Taipei - Travel information and foodie!

This is my 4th time back in Taiwan. Love the shopping, foodie here and that explains why I kept coming back.

It is very easy to stay connected with internet access in Taiwan. You can either rent a Taiwan WIFI router at Changi Airport, or buy a Taiwan Sim Card from one of the Telecom counters located at the airport when you arrived at Taiwan (usually is Chung Hwa or 台湾大哥大). 

If you decided to rent a Taiwan WIFI router which allows you to connect up to a maximum of 5 devices, do remember to reserve online at least 3 days before departure to ensure that there is stock for you. We forgot to reserve online beforehand and on the day when we reached Changi Airport, the lady at the counter told us that it was out of stock. For more information and promotion for the WIFI router, check out Changi Recommends Website.

The other alternative is to buy a Taiwan Sim Card when you touch down at the airport in Taiwan. The Data packages provided by the 2 major Telecoms in Taiwan, i.e. Chung Hwa and 台湾大哥大 have really good deals. But when you compare this to the option of having a WIFI router, the downside is Sim Card can only be used by one device. In order to share the data, you have to open your personal hot spot which drains the battery really fast. So if you are travelling in a group and you prefer everyone to have data, WIFI router is still the best option.

For more information on the location of the Telecom counters in Taiwan Airport and the various data packages provided by the 2 Taiwan Telecom, you can refer to this guide.  

Upon arriving at Taipei Taoyuan International Airport, we proceed to buy the bus tickets from the bus counters at the Airport. You might be confuse by the many bus counters as each bus brings you to a different place. It is best to double check with the bus counter operators if their bus will bring you to your destination before buying the tickets. Our hotel is located very near Taipei Main Station and so we took the Guo Guang bus which took us directly to Taipei Main Station. 

Guo Guang bus from Taoyuan International Airport to Taipei Main Station -
Fare: 125NT per person
Bus Interval: 15-20mins
Bus Journey: approximately 1 hour


Queuing up for Guo Guang bus
We check in to our hotel:
Main Inn Taipei
Add: 2F, No. 12, Lane 21, Zhengzhou Road, Datong District, 103 Taipei, Taiwan 
6 mins walk from Taipei main station, walk through the Taipei underground mall, exit Y13. It's just very near to the exit.
A down side of this hotel is that it is located on the second floor and the steps are quite steep and narrow. It's quite dangerous when you still have a bulky luggage to carry up and down. I won't recommend this hotel if you have elderly travelling with you as they might have problems climbing the stairs. Nonetheless, the service is good, staff is friendly and the room is modern and clean.

Our hotel is near to Ningxia night market and hence, that's our first stop!


Ningxia Night Market

Add: Ningxia Rd, Datong District, Taipei City, Taiwan 103


It's fun looking how they cooked the beef cubes. It's quite tasty but the beef cubes were not as tender and soft as I thought it should be. Most of the night markets have this. 

Nice as always. I like Taiwan's 臭豆腐!
啊宗面线 still the nicest!


Yummy! Long queue but must try! Glutinous rice stuffed in squid. This will be a very filling dish though.
Muah Chee Ice. Special and yummy. Nice to have a bowl in a hot day!
上引水产 Addiction Aquatic Co. Ltd
台北市民族东路410巷2弄18号, zhong shan district.
Opening hours: 0600 to 2400.
Getting there: Nearest MRT station – 行天宫站 OR 中山国中站, then walk another 15mins or 1.3km.
行天宫站: Take bus 642, 3 stops; 中山国中站: take bus 74, 5 stops

Prices are quite steep here. You will have proper seats if you dine at the restaurants. If you decide to just buy food from the counter, like us, you will have to find seats yourself. When we were there, it's very crowded, we could not find a table and have to eat while standing.










Raohe Street Night Market
Nearest train station: Song Shan


Jelly stick!


This was so nice! It's crispy on the outside and when I put in my mouth, the fragrance milk just flowed out. Tasty and special! 

Very juicy chicken thigh. It's quite fattening though as you have to eat it together with the chicken skin that's wrap around the meat.
There were many stalls selling grilled squid in various night markets. It's a tad salty as they sprinkle too much seasoning on the squid. The best grilled squid I have eaten was at Qi Jin in Kao Hsiung. Check out my post on Kao Hsiung!

Talking about foodie in Taipei, how can we miss out the all time favourite, 阿宗面线 at Ximending!There were long queues no matter what time of the day.



Check out my other posts on other parts of Taiwan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has